All children deserve the best start possible.
United Way of Acadiana Early Head Start gives your child an EARLY HEAD START to a good life – from pregnancy through age 3. We offer a variety of services, from prenatal education to childcare to referrals and other assistance.
Free onsite childcare, including meals and snacks, is available at the United Way of Acadiana Early Head Start Lafayette Early Learning Center at 1515 Jefferson Street, Lafayette, LA 70501, and at the United Way of Acadiana Early Head Start Abbeville Early Learning Center at 802 South St. Valerie Street, Abbeville, LA 70510. The centers have a low child-to-teacher ratio and are led by a dedicated, trained staff.
Our home-based program provides the services of a family advocate who will visit families at home to support parents in nurturing their baby’s development.
Our goal is to:
• Promote healthy prenatal outcomes for pregnant women.
• Enhance the development of very young children.
• Promote healthy family functioning.
The United Way Early Early Head Start program offers these free services:
• Prenatal education and support.
• Parent support and parent/child activities.
• Full-day childcare for infants and toddlers.
• Referrals for health care, social services, housing and food assistance.
• Help with job training, GED, health insurance and public benefits.
• Support for children with disabilities and their families.
• Group activities and socializing.
LIVE UNITED Minute - Early Head Start from United Way of Acadiana on Vimeo.
Both Early Head Start, Early Learning Centers are accepting applications!To Apply, Parents Must Bring:
For more details on qualifications or enrollment, please call 534.0683.
- Parent ID
- Birth Certificate for the Child
- Social Security Card for the Child
- Immunization Record for the Child
- Medical Proof of Child’s Disability (if applicable)
- Medical Proof of Pregnancy (if applicable)
- Proof of Income or Student (please bring all that apply):
- Income Tax Form 1040
- TANF documentation
- Pay stub or pay envelopes (At Least 4 Check Stubs)
- Unemployment documentation
- Written statement from employers
- Foster care reimbursement
- SSI documentation
- Documentation of no income
- Food Stamp Printout or
- SSI/SS Award Letter or
- Financial Aid Award Letters
- Proof of Residency (Utility Bill or Copy of Lease)
- Family MUST live in Vermilion Parish or the 70501 zip code only in Lafayette.
- Children must be between the ages of 0-2.
- Must meet Federal Poverty Income Guideline.
- To be eligible for home–based services a child may be between birth and three years of age.
- The child must be living with a parent/guardian who is available to meet for 90 minutes each week in the home.
These services support our PACT for Education by addressing kindergarten readiness. United Way of Acadiana received a multi-year, federal grant for more than $3 million from the federal Administration for Children & Families Office of Head Start to deliver these expanded services to Acadiana. UWA has also partnered with the Cecil J.Picard Center at UL to provide support such as teacher training and program evaluation.
For more information on qualifications or enrollment, please call 337.706.1200.