Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
If you had a household income of $60,000 or less in 2022, have a disability, or English is not your primary language, you may be eligible for FREE tax preparation services.
You may also qualify for an additional tax worth thousands called the Earned Income Tax Credit. For VITA services call 211 to make an appointment with a local VITA site near you.
Looking for additional resources? Go to MyFreeTaxes.com for free filing information and services.
What does VITA stand for?
Who is eligible for this free service? (VITA Qualifications)
You may qualify for free tax prep through VITA if one (or all) of these apply to you.
- Your total household income was $60,000 or less.
- You do not receive active military pay.
- You are not practicing clergy.
- You did not have farm income.
- You did not own a business.
- You did not have rental property income.
- You did not have income from trading stocks or bonds.
- You don’t speak English well enough to complete your taxes.
- You have a disability.
What should people bring with them when meeting with the tax specialist?
- Proof of ID
- SSN Card for you, spouse, and dependents and/or Social Security Number verification issued by the social seciruty information
- Birth dates for you, spouse, and dependents on tax return
- Wage and earning statements: Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from alal employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbres for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number if appropriate
Do most people get a refund?
YES! Just last year we helped Acadiana residents claim nearly $3 million in refunds.
How many people took advantage of this program last year?
Over 3,000 local residents utilized our service last year.
When it comes to tax preparation, what tips can you offer folks?
Most people do not take advantage of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). We aggressively search for the EITC as it can garner over $6,000 extra on your refund.
Keep your refund safe this year by investing in a local Acadiana bank. Learn more about our Bank On program here.
For additional questions, please contact Patricia Cormier at firstname.lastname@example.org or Hunter Leedy at email@example.com.
Appointments are required at ALL VITA locations.